I want to talk to you about the importance of donating blood. Some of you may know a friend or even a family member who has received blood at some time. I for one have received blood and I often wonder who took the time to donate it. According to the Journal of American Medical Association, it is noted that just 1 pint of blood can save three lives.
Why You Should Give
Giving blood does not just benefit recipients. Regardless of age, donating blood offers many benefits for donors. It lets you: time-consuming tests. Then, it must be used relatively quickly or it will perish-whole blood for instance, according to the American Red Cross, is no longer usable after 42 days. As a result, maintaining an adequate blood supply is a
* cancer patients
* sickle cell patients
* leukemia patients
* premature infants * hemophilia patients
* surgery patients
* accident victims
* burn and trauma victims
These are important reasons to donate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What is the criteria to be a blood donor? A donor must:
• Be at least 17 years old.
• Weigh at least 110 lbs.
• Be free of major cold, flu and allergy symptoms.
• Not have had hepatitis after age 11.
• Not have had any risk factors or behaviors associated with HIV/AIDS.
Reasons for not being able to donate:
• Hepatitis after age 11
• IV Drug User (even one time)
• Certain obstructive lung disorders
• Certain liver disorders
• Persons who have taken Tegison for psoriasis
• Persons who have taken human-derived pituitary growth hormone
• Persons with symptoms or laboratory evidence of AIDS or who are considered to have an increased risk for contracting