We’ve all wondered what it would have been like to be born in a different era, back when life was simple. But judging by these 16 photos, it looks like those “good old days” were actually kind of weird and in some cases outright scary. When you check them out, you’ll probably agree that we’re better off right where (and when) we are…
1. People used these “baby cages” so infants could sleep in the open air on top of New York skyscrapers. 1930.
2. A very ergonomic portable television. 1967.
3. One of the earliest examples of reconstructive surgery performed on a WWI veteran who suffered extensive facial wounds.
4. Who needs a horse when you have a pig? 1912.
5. What on earth did the second man feel when this was fired? This gun was banned in 1860.
6. Long before the age of the smartphone, the phone lines had to be physically connected. 1890.
7. 1922: A woman is arrested in Chicago because her swimsuit doesn’t cover her legs.
8. A motorbike chariot with a policeman driving it! 1936.
9. Why only coffee and sodas? With the whisky vending machine, life smiles right at you! 1960.
10. This kind of horse-jumping competition was popular in the 1880s…
11. No water? No problem! Here is how one can learn to swim and stay dry (circa 1920).
12. This man traveled from Paris to Moscow on stilts. And why? Nobody knows. 1891.
13. “Let’s see how this cat handles zero-g!”1958.
14. In 1921 they didn’t bring criminals to jail, they brought the jail to criminals!
15. Smart shoes to avoid leaving shoe prints behind. 1922.
16. A bit crowded maybe? This is the boat that brought American soldiers back to New York in 1945, after the WWII victory.
So do you still think it would be fun to live in the “good old days?”